A Sweet Treat for the Skin
By Quinta Essentia Organics
Thanks to Cleopatra's milk and honey baths, honey has become a favourite with one and all, as the ultimate natural healing potion. Besides Cleopatra, history is full of beauties that swear by honey as being indispensable to natural glow and radiance.
Pollution, dirt and other chemical agents in the air deprive the skin of its moisture holding capacity and cause it to become dry and wrinkled. The natural hydrating and antioxidant properties of honey trap and seal moisture, rejuvenate the skin and improve the complexion.
Honey in its purest form is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin. There are varieties of honey available in market - single flower, multi flower, herbed and Manuka honey. The last one comes from New Zealand and possesses excellent anti bacterial and anti microbial properties. Honey should never be heated, check the label for organic, raw, unheated or unprocessed honey. A simple way to test honey is putting a drop in a glass of water. If it dissolves without shaking, its not pure .
Beauticians at QE Organics suggest using honey abundantly for radiant complexion. Treat your self to some simple natural skin care remedies with honey at home:
- For soft and supple skin, add a cup of honey to your bath.
- For treating dry skin, take 1 tsp each of honey, vegetable oil and lemon juice. Pat it on dry areas of skin, leave for 10 minutes and rinse with water.
- For a moisturized and polished skin with tightened pores, make a moisturizing mask with 1 tsp of honey, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp almond oil and 1 tsp yoghurt. Apply on face, neck and other body parts. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- For silky-smooth skin, mix 1/2 cup of honey and 3 tsp of rosewater. Apply on face and neck avoiding sensitive areas around the eye. Massage well and rinse with lukewarm water.
- For a scintillating glow, place a cloth dipped in warm water over your face to open the pores. Smear honey on the face and let is rest for 20-30 minutes. Rinse first with warm water and then cold water to close the pores.
- For rejuvenating your skin, make a paste of 1 tsp of honey, 1 egg white, 1 tsp glycerin and flour. Smooth it over the face and neck, leave it for ten minutes and then wash with warm water.
- Honey conditions your hair too. Honey mixed with any oil can be applied to hair and left for an hour before shampooing. You will not need a conditioner after shampoo.
- Honey is an excellent healer of wounds. Pure unheated honey can be applied to cuts, abrasions and wounds to make them heal fast. When taken orally, it lubricates the digestive system and gives instant energy boost as it goes straight in you blood stream.